"Let me see generation times, will we hear children singing rhymes? Sweet memories gone by..."

27 February 2013

Visiting the Old Farm

I don't know if you can see
The changes that have come over me
In these last few days I've been afraid that I might drift away
So I've been telling old stories, singing songs
That make me think about where I came from
That's the reasons why I seem so far away today
--"Caledonia" by Dougie MacLean

Last weekend, we visited the farm where Dad and his siblings all grew up.  Pop Pop and Mom Mom originally purchased the property back in June of 1963.  At the time, it was a 60-acre dairy farm, though it's much smaller now (the realtor has it listed as just 6 acres), and at some point it was converted into a horse farm.

So, many changes over these past 50 years.  Here's a then-and-now comparison of the house:

This is the satellite view from Google.  I don't know when the image was taken, but the property has changed a lot even since then.

I took some videos of Dad giving us the grand tour.  For each one, I've marked on the map where we were, or walked to, with red numbers and arrows.


Video #1:  Driveway & Fields (6:54)

(The long, thin building that the arrow is pointing to isn't there now)

 


Video #2:  Inside the Barn (5:06)


 


Video #3:  Spring House, Dairy Barn & Silo (9:21)


 


Video #4:  Milk-Holding Room & Under the Barn (5:40)


 


Video #5:  Tool Shed & Corn Crib (4:52)


 


Video #6:  Around the House (6:57)


 


Video #7:  Around the House (1:57)




Just as we were finishing up that last video, another car pulled up the driveway. A young family from Arizona were thinking about purchasing the farm, and had come to take a look around. Dad gave them a shortened tour of the place. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment